Sustainable Development Goals
On September 25, 2015, the UN General Assembly approved the „The 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development“, which includes 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDG). The SDGs seek to build on the Millennium Development Goals and complete what these did not achieve. The adopted Agenda is integrated and indivisible and balance the three dimensions of sustainable development: the economic, social and environmental.
Sustainable Development Goals are:
- Goal 1. End poverty in all its forms everywhere
- Goal 2. End hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition and promote sustainable agriculture
- Goal 3. Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages
- Goal 4. Ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all
- Goal 5. Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls
- Goal 6. Ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all
- Goal 7. Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all
- Goal 8. Promote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all
- Goal 9. Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation
- Goal 10. Reduce inequality within and among countries
- Goal 11. Make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable
- Goal 12. Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns
- Goal 13. Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts*
- Goal 14. Conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources for sustainable development
- Goal 15. Protect, restore and promote sustainable use of terrestrial ecosystems, sustainably manage forests, combat desertification, and halt and reverse land degradation and halt biodiversity loss
- Goal 16. Promote peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development, provide access to justice for all and build effective, accountable and inclusive institutions at all levels
- Goal 17. Strengthen the means of implementation and revitalize the global partnership for sustainable development
Relevance of the UNIDO vision of Inclusive and Sustainable Industrial Development (ISID) for the new global development architecture was confirmed as the UN Open Working Group on SDGs has proposed as goal 9 “Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation”.
To find out more about the 2030 Agenda visit the Sustainable Development Knowledge Platform.